Last year I made up a list of types of texts to read to help guide my choices (because there are so many!) and to guarantee some variety. I was successful in checking off all 18 items. I've decided to do it again this year.
Note: a text may satisfy more than one of these items. Order of items does not matter.
1. A previously abandoned book
2. Short story collection
3. Poetry: "dead giant"
4. Feminist work (a classic; a book from Jezebel's list of 75 Books Every Woman Must Read or something similar)
5. Science Fiction/Speculative/Utopia/Dystopia
6. Work in translation
7. Book from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list
9. Literary canon
10. Poetry: contemporary author
11. Poetry craft/theory
13. Young Adult
14. Fiction from the current year
15. Prize winner
16. Other nonfiction work
17. Author of color
18. Character of color as protagonist
*New for this year. I used to read a lot of fantasy and still have plenty of books in that genre around.
In addition, as part of a larger New Year's Resolution to watch/read/play more works by and about women, I will only read books with female authors or that feature a female protagonist/subject.