Unwind

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

Four stars because this was hard to put down and had some pretty great characters, plus it takes up hefty issues in complex ways.

The one scene of unwinding is genuinely horrifying, and you'll find yourself (whatever your beliefs in terms of pro-choice or pro-life) appalled many a time and thinking through matters along with the characters.

I do have some issues (beyond the horrendous amount of typos--wtf?) in that there seems to be an insistence on abortion as largely the result of a mother not loving a child, as if men aren't involved or a factor, or economics, age, etc. There are also hints of stem cell research that are vaguely gestured to and, in my opinion, misleadingly (and damagingly). But the story takes place in a post-"Second Civil War" between pro-lifers and pro-choicers setting, and the author may be relying on basic knowledge or conversations that may happen as a result of the text.

My final niggling complaint is that once again an awesome female character, Risa, is somewhat sidelined in favor of a young male hero.

I'll read the next book in the series, but it's not at the top of my list.