SPOILER ALERT!

It

It -

I feel like I've really done something, reading this book (big books, you know?). I kept thinking I could never undertake something like it myself--he worked on it for years. It's very well-structured, between past and present, different points of view, and all coming back to Derry as place (or Derry as It).

I love reading kids as protagonists, and King is a great writer of kids. The older I get, the more I recognize how hard and delicate a task it is. I love all the main characters, but especially as kids.

Sometimes I think I'm past being horrified or disturbed or scared reading a book, but there were definitely moments of horror here that worked on me (those I won't spoil). I expect every reader will have his/her own most disturbing moments.

Given its size, it's remarkably well-paced (structure again), although in the beginning I got antsy for the group to meet up as adults, and sometimes the Derry interludes were a drag when I started them.

I wasn't a fan of the Beverly-has-sex-with-all-of-them business, which felt sort of like it was saying that since she's the girl of the group, this is naturally what would happen. That her (literal) sex is the source of her power. I liked it better when she was using the bullseye; what was wrong with that? When they get down to It's lair (both in the past and present), there's nothing much for Beverly to do. And if the point was to "bring them back together," shouldn't they all have screwed one another? Meh.Oh, and King loves to remind us that women have breasts. Annoying.Otherwise, when I was able, I tore through this book happily.